books

books

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Best Read-Alouds of 2012

This is my second year to participate in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I met my goal of reading 150 books in 2012. While a majority of those were picture books, I am still proud of this accomplishment.

I have chosen my Top 10 Best Read-Alouds for 2012. I based my choices on the reaction of the kids and also on my level of enjoyment while reading them aloud. When you read books multiple times to different groups of kids, it can make a book start to lose its magic. But these are the books that never got old.



My Top 10 Picture Book Read-Alouds of 2012:

1. Press Here by Herve Tullet--Best read-aloud experience EVER! Who knew pressing on dots could make kids and adults actually GASP in glee!?! Read more here.
2. I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen--HILARIOUS! Read more here.
3. Guess Again! by Mac Barnett--The kids LOVED this one. Read last spring (pre-blog).
4. Woof: A Love Story by Sarah Weeks--Such a fun read-aloud experience because the words just roll like a wave. And such a sweet story with a great theme. Read last spring (pre-blog).
5. Waiting for Biblioburro by Monica Brown--AWESOME and TRUE! Read more here.
6. Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems--How can you not pick a pigeon book as one of the best of the year? A homerun with kids every time. Read more here.
7. Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman--A sweet, simple story that the kids loved! Read more here.
8. Postcards from Camp by Simms Taback--A unique book with removable letters.(A kid's dream--a librarian's nightmare, but still fantastic!) Read more here.
9. Bridget's Beret by Tom Lichtenheld--LOVE this book and its theme! Read last spring (pre-blog).
10. A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis by Matt de la Pena--Powerful read aloud for upper grades, and Kadir Nelson's illustrations are simply breathtaking!Read more here.

I look forward to 2013 and a new challenge. My goal is to read 153 books this year! (I chose 153 because 150 was hard enough, and I added the 3 just to make it a little more than last year). I highly recommend joining the Goodreads Reading Challenge! I would love to know your favorite books of 2012 and what your reading goals are for 2013. Please post in the comments below. 


Waiting for the Biblioburro
Press Here
I Want My Hat Back
Woof: A Love Story
Guess Again!
Bridget's Beret
Boy and Bot
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis













Postcards from Camp 




No comments:

Post a Comment